Winter Wonderland and Enjoying Winter Exercise

 13.12.09


In the winter of 2005, I spent an amazing 3 months in
Inuvik, NWT
{200 km NORTH of the Arctic Circle}.

I was there from January - March. I actually arrived just in time for the First Light Party, when there was a glimpse of light after days of 24 hr darkness. But it was pretty dark and cold for most of the time I was there. When I say cold, I mean like -50 degrees celcius - as a high. There wasn't too much snow, because it's MUCH too cold for snow. It's simply frigid.

I enjoyed my time there and would go back in a second if I could.

When I went up there, I had just started exercising and losing weight, and I didn't want to stop. There was a 24 hr gym with 2 treadmills, 2 rowers, 2 ellipticals, 2 bikes, and some weights. I spent at least 2 hours a day at the gym. I didn't have a car, so I would have to walk about 20 mins in the freezing, dark cold just to get to the gym, then walk home.

I remember one day in early March when it warmed up to -20 degrees celcius, so I celebrated by going for a run outside, which was a REAL treat!

Since it was dark most of the day, time didn't mean much so I'd go to the gym whenever I felt like it {mostly from 8pm -12am}. Not only did I go to the gym, I joined a curling team too. I was pretty active when I was there.

If I wanted to go to the grocery store, I'd have to walk about 25 mins in the freezing dark cold to get there, then carry it home. Let's just say I ate pretty light. There was only one restaurant, which didn't sound appetizing to me, so I didn't eat out much.

By the time I came home, I was almost 40 lbs lighter.

I am writing this as it's 1 degree out. I now think that's cold. I was too cold to go for a run yesterday when it was -5 degrees. I'm such a wimp now.

I need to channel my "Inuvik Self" this winter as I embark on my winter training.


This is the MacKenzie River - when frozen, becomes the Ice Road to Tuktoyuktuk!
This picture was taken on my 1st day in the NWT!

Here I am in Tuktoyuktuk, walking to a meeting!

3 comments:

klrowan December 13, 2009 at 9:37 PM  

WOW!! Why were you there?

Mummy Maggie December 13, 2009 at 9:39 PM  

I went as part of a law school exchange to study Aboriginal self-government.

Eujean,  December 14, 2009 at 2:07 PM  

You are too cute Maggie! And I LOVE the new blog look :)

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP