Change is the Spice of Life...

 11.10.11

...or is it Variety? Who can keep up? Haha! :)

Anyway, this post isn't about idioms - it's about a simple, but important change in my kitchen!
Since becoming vegan a couple months ago, I tend to make *a lot* of food myself. Well, at least a lot of food is made in my kitchen, not necessarily that I make it. You know by now that I'm merely a wannabe foodie & chef, but I can barely boil water without Googling directions. Seriously.

And with all this healthy vegan cooking going on, we use A LOT of spices to bring out flavour in the foods we make.

A couple of years ago, I posted about how I organized my spices when we moved into our new house. I put them in cute metal jars {with magnetic bottoms!} and labelled them with my beloved label-maker. They looked cute, but were hiding for the last couple of years in one of my upper cabinets. 

They were annoying to get at because I put the labels on the side of the jar, so when trying to locate a spice I had to haul ALL the jars out until I found the one I needed. 

{Okay, so it's not a difficult task, but it is annoying & unnecessarily time-consuming all the same!}

Until now...
 I reorganized my spices on the side of my fridge, right where I need them when I {or someone else, ahem!} is preparing food. 

I arranged them alphabetically which feeds right in to my obsessive need to organize. I was also able to keep most of the labels by just easing them off the side of the jars and replacing them on the clear tops. Win-Win!

I also like that I can see if I'm running low on a spice so I can refill it before it runs out.

Frankly, I was a bit apprehensive about displaying the spices because they may look too busy, but with my kitchen now so much lighter and brighter, the spices don't clutter it up at all. 

In fact, I think it looks like a working kitchen where people actually prepare food. Or at least spice up pre-made food from the grocery store to look like it was homemade :)

So tell me - where do your spices live in your kitchen?

Linking up to:

Organize & Decorate Everything's - Home Decor and Organizing Link Party #23

5 comments:

Unknown October 12, 2011 at 9:36 PM  

This is such a great idea...I think I may have to use this one because my spice cabinet is a mess!

Anonymous,  October 15, 2011 at 3:40 AM  

My spices also live in a cabinet and it is such a mess in there. I like how organized this is and how easy it is to see (and find!) what you have.

Leanne October 19, 2011 at 12:30 PM  

What a great way to organize your spices. Thanks for linking to the Home Decor and Organizing Link Party. I'm featuring this on my facebook fan page today. Grab a featured button if you'd like.

Mummy Maggie October 19, 2011 at 11:14 PM  

Thanks Leanne! I will do that!

Ms. DeliciA October 20, 2011 at 10:39 AM  

Great idea! Our spices live in a monster-sized spice rack from the Ikea as-is section. The labels are on the side in a variety of different spice jars we have acquired over the years, but we can see all of them - and they are arranged alphabetically (something I chose to do one evening instead of proofreading my thesis). We keep the spice rack in the dining room by the island we use as a table/prep area. Our kitchen is too small to accommodate any type of table so we use the dining room as a kitchen extension.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP