Aviva's Chic Nursey - almost done!

 11.1.11


So after much ado, here is Little A's nursery.  Not yet entirely complete, but enough to post online. I wish I knew how to take better photos because these just don't do the room justice.  Anyway, I hope you enjoy! 

I wanted the nursery to be glamourous, yet kid-friendly.  I wanted a room that Little A can grow into.  If you know me in real life, you know that I'm not a pastel-type person, so this baby girl nursery had to be sophisticated and fun! But most importantly, this room had to be done well on a VERY tight budget {like almost non-existent - ask Adair!}.

First I chose my favourite colour palette - Black, White & Pink.  There were times when I wanted to do a gray with pink & orange accents, but the colours and style I chose really spoke to me.   My hair dresser Kara actually gave me the idea for the wall, which was essentially the jumping-off point for the entire space. 

To save money, we kept EZ's crib and dresser and just painted the wood a glossy black to tie in with the rest of the room.  


The fuschia-coloured feature wall is definitely the highlight of the room.  After much searching for the perfect pink, we settled on Behr's Tutti Fruitti colour and we're very pleased. 

The black chandeliers are actually Dollarama stickers!  $2 each, compared to vinyl wall stickers from Etsy or the like for $20+.  Very good deal. Since I was very pregnant, our good friends came over with their fancy level to help us get the chandeliers perfectly straight and even - an essential element in making this feature wall a real knock-out.

We purchased this 4 piece damask crib bedding from Walmart.com for only $70 all included. It even came with a coverlet! Although it looks great from a distance, the bumper pad shrunk by about 5 inches when it was washed, so we're disappointed, but not enough to drive back to Buffalo {a 90 minute drive + border delays} to return it. It still looks fine, and you can't use bumper pads in Canada anyway, so once Aviva starts sleeping in her crib, the bumper pad will be removed.


 We decided that we'd keep Aviva's onesies, jammies, bibs, shoes, etc. in this cute Closetmaid storage unit, so I got these adorable hot pink mesh baskets from Solutions.  The labels are actually chalkboard vinyl pieces from this Etsy seller - LOVE THEM! I just use a chalk marker {or you could simply use a piece of chalk too!} to update the labels as necessary. 

The gorgeous sans-serif letters come from the Dollar Store too. AMAZING. SIMPLE. LOVELY.


  Now. This gorgeous, swanky mirror was an amazing find from the Habitat for Humanity Re-Store. Seriously. It was this hideous gold colour that only cost me $15. We gave it new life by spraypainting it a glossy black.  Simple and totally recessionista-chic.   We purchased the pink minky material change pad cover from Etsy.  It really brings that side of the room together.


I've been in LOVE with the Eames rocker since I first fell in love with interior design, but unfortunately it is simply beyond my budget.  I found this amazing reproduction from this Canadian company that offers free delivery.  The chair arrived only a few days after we ordered it. Very impressive. 

Both the black sequin throw pillow and the white croc material ottoman were purchased from Bouclair Home - my favourite local go-to home accessories shop. I got it on clearance for $20. It's also functions as storage! LOVE multi-purpose items! 

I have a terrible time choosing art for my spaces, especially art that doesn't have any wording on it, so I chose our most recent family photos to be the art in Little A's room.  The white frames are from Walmart! Such a great deal!  

I also purchased this print from Etsy a while back, so now you can see it prominently displayed above the Eames-style rocker!

I don't know how to get rid of the flash - I should have taken a better photo!

 The last element of the room is the lighting. I had previously blogged about a jet black crystal chandelier that I was coveting.  It was relatively inexpensive, but I decided to go with this cute chandelier from Home Depot for less than half the price of the black chandelier.  I'm so glad I did! The black chandelier, albeit lovely, was heavy and limiting, whereas this chandelier perfectly sets off the other elements of the space.  It accents without overshadowing.  And I love ceiling medallions. There I said it.


So there you have it!  Little A's modern, sophisticated nursery - a room that will grow with our little girl.  There are still a couple accents I have to add {more art!}, but I'm currently working on these projects now.  I'll blog about them when complete!

I hope you enjoyed the tour of Aviva's Chic Nursery!

2 comments:

Lorelei January 11, 2011 at 9:22 PM  

Congrats Maggie! It looks like a very chic and sophisticated room for Aviva. Sounds like you found some very good buys. You can come decorate my house anytime!

Mummy Maggie January 11, 2011 at 10:01 PM  

Thanks Lorelei! I love decorating! Especially on a budget! It's like a fun treasure hunt!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP