Weekend Project #1 - Chevron Wall

 20.2.11

I've been really inspired lately by chevrons {so graphic, modern, bold!} and wanted to incorporate them into our dining room design project. I already chose a chevron fabric for a chair in the dining room, but I decided I wanted to make a bolder statement wall.  

I originally thought of just painting a chevron pattern onto a large canvas, but I had this blank wall that was screaming to be a feature wall, so I decided that the chevrons should be painted onto the wall.  
It turned out to be a lot of work {probably about 7-8 hrs total} because it's not merely sticking up painter's tape and slapping a coat of paint on.  I wish it were that simple.

First we had to decide on the width and angles of the chevrons, then calculate how that would translate onto the wall.  Then Adair started taping {I'm horribly & tragically impatient, so I'm often just the brains behind the decorating operation!}.  The taping took about 5 hours or so. Seriously. Luckily it wasn't all in one stretch.

Then the painting began. I chose Cement Gray {2112-60} from Benjamin Moore. It's a fabulous gray with purple-y brown undertones that matches the fabric of our yet-to-be completed chairs.  

We also used BM's Aura paint in the satin finish. It's an amazing quality paint -- BM's top of the line paint -- and it's well worth the money.  You can do a second coat within 20 mins or so, and it goes on really brilliantly {or so I'm told by Adair, because Heaven knows I didn't touch a paint brush in this process!}


The complex taping process begins...

The taping in and of itself is a masterpiece, no?

Taping is DONE!
Thanks for taping dad - EZ thinks it's time to read a book!
Now it's time for paint!!!
Adair taking the paint off around 11:30 Saturday night. Oh how the romance in our relationship has changed. B.C {before children} we'd be out to dinner and a movie -- now we paint our dining room walls <3

This is the finished product in the morning light! GORGEOUS RIGHT?! Just waiting to be styled up with my mirrored sideboard.  


CLICK HERE FOR AN UPDATE OF THE DINING ROOM!



7 comments:

Kim @ NewlyWoodwards March 11, 2011 at 10:11 AM  

Seriously? WOW! This looks amazing! And what a great hubby!

I love the colors you chose and I'm totally impressed at the patience to put all that paint up. More than I have.

Popping over from Liz at It's Great to be Home.

Mummy Maggie March 11, 2011 at 10:45 AM  

Thanks for dropping my my little blog! I'm obsessed with chevrons lately :) I've just completed painting more chevrons - this time on 4 canvases for my family room! I'll post soon :)

Liz @ It's Great To Be Home March 11, 2011 at 11:29 AM  

I LOVE IT!! Honestly, the patience it would take to do that wall boggles my mind. The taping itself is a piece of art! Great job. :)

Mummy Maggie March 11, 2011 at 12:06 PM  

Thanks Liz! I'm super-excited to be done with the dining room {it's been about 18 months since we moved in}, so this feature wall was a BIG push in the right direction. Can't wait to post pics of the completed project!

Robin March 14, 2011 at 1:04 PM  

wow looks great! love the color you chose!

Reunion Committee March 28, 2011 at 10:43 AM  

gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous! Thats all I can say.. I love it!
Tana

Katy February 11, 2012 at 8:51 PM  

Love your color choices!! I have the exact dining room table & chairs, did you use the same color on the wall as the table and chairs? I recently painted mine "gray" but turned out baby blue. Grays are hard, would love the paint name!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP