The Tragic Tale of the Tiger Tail

 5.6.12

Remember when I told you we bought a new house? Well, clearly it's under construction. And we came in late in the game, after all the colour/product choices had been made. 

One of the most important things to me is that the big ticket items {cabinets, flooring, countertops, etc.} are decent. Everything else I can DIY-ify into something awesome, but if you don't have good bones {and a lack of cash flow}, my cool customizations would be lost.

So immediately, before we even thought of offering on the house, I needed to see samples of cabinets, flooring & granite. The builder was SLOW to get back to us, but we eventually received some bad sideways cell phone photographs purporting to be our finishings. One of these was the granite the builder chose.

Here was the photo they sent:
{See...its black with gray & white swirls with a touch of gold. Not my first choice, but workable}.

Here's what was installed last week:

TIGER TAIL ICE CREAM GRANITE

It's ALL dark greeny-black with giant ORANGE swirls and about 1% white.


 
You can imagine how disappointed I was with this granite. Like, we almost walked away from the house because it didn't AT ALL look like the photos. I understand that granite is a natural stone, so there's bound to be variation, but it doesn't look similar at all.

And to top it off {and I know we all have different tastes}, but I DO NOT like this granite. It's hard enough dealing with the dark cabinets, but you'll be pleased to know that I'm embracing them!

It doesn't match the cabinets THEY chose, nor does it go at all with the tile flooring THEY chose. And did I mention that this granite is EVERYWHERE -- kitchen, powder room, ensuite & kids bathroom -- The Tiger Tail is EVERYWHERE!

The long story short is that I complained loudly {I used to be a lawyer, I can't help that!}, but alas nothing was to be done in the end. The builder won't change it. The builder tells me this is top of the line granite. It's still ugly and not what I was promised. Boo.

I'm stuck with the tiger tail granite :( 

Unless I change it up...

White Quartz anyone? But that's another post for another day.

3 comments:

Rebecca June 5, 2012 at 8:20 AM  

I'm so nervous about our countertops! We've ordered a grey quartz for our kitchen (we're renovating) and I've heard that even in quartz the lot to lot variability is a concern. If the lovely blue-grey I picked suddenly turned out to be green-grey or something.. ACK!

Anonymous,  June 5, 2012 at 9:04 AM  

Booo.....that sucks!
Maybe you can Craiglist/Kijiji it to help raise some funds to replace it? You are the Kijiji Queen, after all! ;)

Michelle from The236.net

Mummy Maggie June 7, 2012 at 12:10 AM  

Yes, Michelle, we're definitely going to hawk it on Kijiji if we ca :) I can't believe the builder didn't want it back for the next house! Silly builder!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP