It's not about the scale...

 25.5.09


As I stared at the bathroom scale this morning, I was tempted to commit a cardinal sin of my "lifestyle change."

I was going to weigh myself. AGAIN.

I had already sinned yesterday, was disappointed in the number that I saw because it didn't coincide with how I felt or all the cardio I've been doing. I started spiralling down yesterday, brooding about what I could've done wrong, over-analyzing what is WRONG with me.

How does this serve me? It just sets me up for failure. Again.

So I avoided the scale today. The number on the scale is not a measure of how good I feel or how successful I am.

But I wasn't always like that. When I lost weight 4 years ago, I was obsessed with it. I weighed myself around 15 times per day. I was so brutal with myself. I realized today that the reason I lost weight before was because it was an obsession, and I did not have any other major responsibilities in my life. Once I started working, weight loss took a back seat to my 100+ hr work weeks. I did not know how to balance both health and work because I had not changed my lifestyle, despite losing 70 lbs. Old habits slowly crept back because I hadn't really changed.

Now with an active 4 1/2 month old, a serious career, and other responsibilities, I see that I will lose weight because I've changed my whole lifestyle to support this decision, not because I'm merely obsessed with it.

So my tip of the day is to avoid the scale. Weigh yourself once a week, MAX. Don't beat yourself up if the number you see isn't what you expect. As I said in the beginning, this journey is NOT about being a slave to the scale.

2 comments:

spart May 25, 2009 at 11:03 AM  

That's what they say at WW too, once a week.

spart May 25, 2009 at 6:02 PM  

I just wanted you to know that I've read through each post on this blog, and I LOVE it. Please keep posting Mags! It's so inspiring!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP